Monday, May 14, 2012

Embroidery Course

Last week I began an embroidery design course, called "Sumptuous Surface Embroidery", with Sharon Boggon at Pintangle.

Last Wednesday started week 1, and it has been very interesting.  I am learning lots of useful things. Sharon is teaching us how to design and work our own embroideries so there's a lot of thinking and drawing going on here so far!

I thought you might like to see what I have come up with so far:


It's a fairly broad concept, but I like this interpretation. It all came from this head!!

I was thinking of doing a 6" x 6" piece, but that is an awful lot of stitches, so it may end up a bit smaller!
And these are the threads I will be doing this piece in:


For the first three weeks we are working in monotone, and letting the texture show without worrying about colour, and the last three weeks we work in colour on another design of our own.

While I'm here, I will tell you that there are an unbelievable number of half square triangles being worked here, so the quilt is coming along in leaps and bounds. In fact that is why I haven't been posting as often, but I hopefully will be back to normal soon....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Sharyn, just another thing for you to tackle....well done, the threads look great.....look forward to seeing your progress....see you Thursday...Linda x

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how it all comes together.
Love Jeanie Beanie xoxox

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

I love designs with a story behind them. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Bron said...

How fun for you...it is very exciting to launch into something new and something indulgent to your passion. x